Saturday, October 8, 2011

Jesus and Barabbas

For my first real post I want to talk about something I read over the summer. It's a Max Lucado book called "No Wonder They Called Him Savior". The book is really focused on the cross and what Jesus did for us all there and is a great book for new believers.



One part that really stood out to me was a part about Barabbas. Barabbas was a man in prison on death row during Jesus' time and convicted of murder. I assume he didn't have much hope and knew his end was coming quickly and then something so unbelievable happened. Pilate gave the Jews a choice between Jesus and Barabbas for who to release. One of them would get freedom and one a painful death on the cross. Of course we all know what their answer was, Jesus died and Barabbas was free to go.

I had never really thought about this whole scene much before until I read this book and I cannot believe what I missed! Jesus died in place of Barabbas. It's a perfect example of what Christianity is all about. Christ dies for us who are unworthy. It just amazes me thinking about it.

Now Barabbas was given a choice, he could accept this gift and leave his cell and live out the rest of his life or he could stay there, refusing it because he could not understand how this happened. Not much of a choice, of course he took his freedom! "Maybe he didn't understand it and surely he didn't deserve it, but he wasn't about to refuse it".

This is also part of the story of Christianity. With Jesus dying for our sins, the door to our prisons are open wide yet there are many people who refuse to leave. Some because they refuse to see and some because they cannot understand it. Thinking about the example of Christianity in the Barabbas story really helped put things into perspective. I've been a Christian since I was a child and I know that I can take this amazing gift for granted. This story helps remind me of what a precious gift God's grace is and how undeserving we all are to have it. I hope I never forget and take it for granted again! This story also reminds me that though there are questions that I do not have answered and might never have answered, sometimes I just need to use a little faith. Walk in faith, write in faith, live in faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment